This week’s Learning Resources present information about various types of theories. For this Discussion, you will examine some of these theories and evaluate how theory is utilized in research as well as how it informs your nursing practice.
- Review the Learning Resources focusing on the different types of theories that are relevant for nursing practice.
- Locate a scholarly article in the professional nursing literature that discusses a middle range or practice theory. Determine if the theory is descriptive, explanatory, predictive, or prescriptive in nature.
- With this in mind, consider how nursing theory is utilized in research. For instance, how might this theory be useful for identifying a research problem?
- Then, reflect on your nursing practice. As indicated in Chapter 2 of Theoretical Basis for Nursing, theories differ in scope—from the more abstract metatheory and grand theories to the more concrete middle range and practice theories. Brainstorm examples of how theory is applied in your nursing practice. Identify one to share in this Discussion.
Post 550 words essay in APA format with 3 references from the list below, that include the level one heading as numbered below:
post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Summarize your selected article, identifying the middle range or practice theory utilized, and explaining whether the theory was descriptive, explanatory, predictive, or prescriptive. (Include the APA citation for the article.) (SEE ATTACHED PDF)
2) Describe the value of theory for nursing research. Be specific.
3) Share an example of how theory is applied in your nursing practice.