You will demonstrate your ability to apply ethics to your future career in a healthcare setting by creating a one-page statement of your professional code of ethics. This statement should clearly identify your “ethical bottom line.” Be sure that your statements are complete sentences and are free from grammatical and spelling errors.
Support your ethics statement with a two-page support document that explains its origins. Include a title and reference page, also appropriate in-text citations in the body of your paper. Your document should help your instructor understand why you chose the items that were included in your statement. It should also reflect how you applied your learning in the course to what you have written. APA formatting required.
Your Professional Code of Ethics Resources:
- Learn your professional code, ACHE Code of Ethics, and formulate your position on the code.
- Visit: http://www.ache.org/ABT_ACHE/code.cfm
- Investigate codes from other professions. If you are bi-codal, you can investigate your co-professional code. You can use the CSEP (http://ethics.iit.edu/) Web site to identify a code that is interesting to you.
- Ask key administrators about the challenges of living by a professional code.
- Try living the code in your daily operations.
- Design your own personal code starting with the ACHE Code as foundation.
A Personal Code of Ethics – (Sample format for ethics statement):
Professional Ethics Statement for (your name) As an ethics-based health care professional, I will strive to meet or exceed the statement below in the daily practice of my profession.