Have you ever traveled abroad and asked for directions from someone who did not speak your own language? Perhaps you unsuccessfully attempted to use Google Translate or tried gestures and hand signals to communicate your request. The ability to communicate in the same language greatly increases the likelihood of shared understanding.
In health care, having a standard terminology facilitates the flow of information. Just as two people who speak different languages have difficulty understanding one another, so will two databases that utilize differing sets of terminologies. Standardized, shared terminologies enable database systems to effectively communicate.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources focusing on the significance of standardized terminologies in health care settings. Consider how standardized terminologies are important in the development and use of databases and clinical information systems.
- Explore the websites of major health care organizations to determine their recommendations on acceptable standardized terminologies.
- Determine the standardized terminologies currently used by your health care organization (or one with which you are familiar).
- Consider the standard terminologies (recommended by a major medical organization or based on your experiences) you would like to see incorporated into your organization’s databases and clinical information systems. What would be the benefit of using these particular standards? How might this impact the quality of the information retrieved from databases within your organization?
Post 550 words in APA format with 3 references
1) A description of at least one standardized terminology that is recommended by a major health care organization. ( Examples of standardized nursing terminologies are NANDA International (NANDA-I) for nursing diagnoses, NIC for nursing treatments and procedures, and NOC for patient-sensitive outcomes).
2) Assess how or if this terminology is incorporated into your organization’s databases and clinical information systems.
3) Identify at least one additional standardized terminology you would like to see incorporated into the organization’s databases . (Examples of standardized nursing terminologies are NANDA International (NANDA-I) for nursing diagnoses, NIC for nursing treatments and procedures, and NOC for patient-sensitive outcomes.) Analyze the importance of incorporating this terminology and how this could impact the quality of the data retrieved from the databases. Justify your response.