tyle=”text-align: justify;”>Community Health Nursing Statistical Data
By reviewing demographic data and comparing county data with state and national data, you will be able to determine how your county compares to others across the nation.
For this assignment, you will review and assess demographic data for your county, state, and the nation. By reviewing demographic data and comparing county data with state and national data, you will be able to determine how your county compares to others across the nation. You will also review some epidemiological data related to the Healthy People 2020 National Objective you selected previously.
Notes about this assignment:
• It is more about the experience than it is locating answers; there are no correct answers and the data may vary from source to source (be sure to include your source/reference)
• It can be a fascinating exercise, especially as you begin to compare your community to the state and national data; however,
• You should be able to locate most of the requested information by using the listed websites or Google; if you are unable to locate data, check with your peers to see where their information was located or you may record “no data available” in the provided table
• Record the most recent data available; the data you record should be dated within the last 5 years; it is very rare to find data from the current year
• Analyze your findings to determine relevant health problems for the community
• Develop two community related nursing diagnoses
1. Using the websites listed below, as well as other websites, gather information about your county and compares it with your state and national numbers. As you consider the National Health Objective you previously selected, you may find that you need to seek other sources of information through a Google search.
U.S. Census Bureau:
Ohio Department of Health:
Ohio State Office of Policy Research and Strategic Planning: http://development.ohio.gov/reports/reports_research.htm
Visit your local health department’s website (some sites provide data by zip code whereas others may not)
World Health Organization Data and Statistics Center: http://www.who.int/research/en/ City Data: http://www.city-data.com
The Network of Care for Public Health Assessment and Wellness; State of Ohio: http://www.ship.oh.networkofcare.org/ph/
2. Search your local public health department’s annual report
3. Complete the assignment using the provided table template.
NOTE: This assignment is about the experience of using databases to locate information about your community. Keep in mind as you complete this assignment that you may not be able to locate all data fields listed in the worksheet.
Record the data you collect into the following tables. Record the source (website) of your data in the Source Column. Collect the most recent data available (usually within the last 5 years). If you cannot find that data for a few inquiries just enter “NDA” – No Data Available. However, this should be limited to two or three areas.
Selected County, State: Warren County, Ohio
Demographic and Ethnic Data (Example: search Google for “Ohio, County Name, and Population”)
Data MUST be presented in a comparable manner (i.e. percentage by population)
Demographic Variable County State Nation Source/Reference of Data
< 5 y.o. % % %
18 and younger % % %
65 and older % % %
Male % % %
Female % % %
White % % %
Black % % %
American Indian % % %
Asian % % %
Hispanic % % %
Single % % %
Married % % %
Health Statistics (Example: search Google for terms such as “Infant Mortality Ohio,” etc.)
Data MUST be presented in a comparable manner (%, per 1000, per 100000, etc.)
Rate County State Nation Data Source
Infant Mortality (Infants < 1 Y.O. Reported as per 1000 Live Births)
Death Rates: (Usually reported as per 100000)
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Prenatal Care (% of Mothers delivering live infants who did NOT receive prenatal care in the 1st trimester)
Insufficient Physical Activity
Economic Statistical Data: (Example: search Google for “Ohio Income Range”)
Variable County State Nation Data Source
Poverty rate % % %
Unemployment Rate % % %
Educational Levels: (Example: search Google for “Ohio Income Range”)
Data MUST be presented in a comparable manner- i.e. %
Variable City or County State Nation Data Source
< High school % % %
High school % % %
College degree % % %
Reflect on the ways the information you obtained relates to the county where you live and the Healthy People 2020 National Health Objective you have selected to study.
Write a three to four paragraph summary of the key risks and concerns that you can support based upon the statistical data you have retrieved. You may want to look up some additional data that specifically pertains to the Healthy People 2020 National Health Objective that you have selected if additional information is still needed. Be sure to use citations/references APA formatted.
In addition, write two priority community health nursing diagnoses. Use the correct format for your diagnoses: Problem, location of problem. Etiology, Signs/Symptoms
Formatting would be: Problem related to the etiology as evidenced by the signs/symptoms.
For example: Risks of asthma complications among children in a southeast Ohio County related to poor air quality, overcrowded living conditions, inability to access health care, high number of animals living in homes, lack of knowledge regarding treatment options, and lack of access to medications as evidenced by increasing numbers of hospitalizations due to asthma complications.
Priority Community Health Nursing Diagnoses #1
Priority Community Health Nursing Diagnoses #2