Begin by selecting a company that you might like to work for. Then conduct an analysis of the organization’s corporate social responsibility efforts and ethics programs. You should use the organization’s website and publications, along with external media sources to collect your information. (You may also use personal interviews, but they are not required.)
The paper should consist of four sections:
- IntroductionInclude a brief introduction to the organization.
- Corporate Social ResponsibilityThis section is a written report of your analysis on the organization’s corporate social responsibility efforts. First, conduct an analysis of their organization website. Is information about CSR readily accessible? Second, what are the two or three main areas of involvement in CSR for the organization? What programs are they involved in? Third, describe various stakeholders and the relationship of the organization with those stakeholders (be specific). Finally, what is your evaluation of this organization’s involvement in corporate social responsibility? Is it effective? Does it create or add value to the organization? These last three questions are the most critical part of the assignment.
- Ethics ProgramsThis section is a written report of your analysis on the organization’s ethics programs. First, briefly describe the formal ethics programs of the organization. Do they have a formal code of ethics for the organization? Do they have an ethics officer or corporate ethics committee? What other types of ethics programs do they have? (Chapters 5 and 6 in our textbook list some of the ethics programs an organization might have. Your organization might have additional programs.) What is your evaluation of the organization’s ethics program? Is it effective? Does it create or add value to the organization? These last three questions are the most critical part of the assignment.
- Second, review the organization’s communication channels for ethics. Is ethics information presented on their website? What about recruiting information or organization newsletters? Could it be improved? If yes, how?
- Third, discuss any external media reports on the organization’s ethical (or unethical) behavior. Has the organization been implicated in ethical misconduct? Has the organization received positive press about their ethical behavior?
- Conclusion Briefly describe what you have learned about this organization. What are their strengths and weaknesses in ethics and corporate social responsibility?
- The length of this report should be around 1300–1800 words. Please cite your sources as needed throughout the paper.