Consider a social issue in which you are interested. It could be human freedom, sexuality, deviance, crime, social mobility, poverty, education, aging, or another similar issue. Select a specific hypothesis that you will evaluate against the available evidence from your library / Internet research.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Apply the sociological perspective to a variety of socioeconomic and political problems.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in sociology.
- Write clearly and concisely about sociology using proper writing mechanics.
Writing Assignment (Part 2): Outline and Preliminary List of References
Due Week 5 and worth 100 points
Complete the outline after you have done library / Internet research for evidence that bears on your hypothesis. Provide information about all of the following components of the final paper:
Discuss the value of sociological research into your issue. Determine whether or not there are (or would be) practical implications of sociological inquiry into this issue.
- Evidence. This is the most important part of the paper. Analyze at least two (2) lines of evidence that pertain to the hypothesis that you are evaluating. Does the evidence support your hypothesis? For each type of evidence, consider possible biases and alternative interpretations.
- Conclusions. Draw conclusions based on the evidence that you have discovered. Does the evidence confirm or refute your hypothesis? Is the evidence sufficiently convincing to draw firm conclusions about your hypothesis?