One of the major efforts being undertaken currently in medical informatics is the installation of EHR systems in all sizes of health systems, hospitals, clinics, and practices. Using the South University Online Library or the Internet, research on EHR. Based on your research and understanding, answer the following questions:
- Why has EHR adoption been so slow? Why did the early systems fail?
- What core functions make up a typical electronic health system?
- What is the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act and how does it relate to EHRs?
- What are the current governmental incentives for installing EHR systems? What are the ramifications if systems do not start using EHR?
- What are the requirements for optimal utilization of EHR systems?
- What is certified EHR? Why is it important?
- How can EHR systems reduce cost and increase quality of care?