One challenge to the development of a strong ethics program is to use the elements of the organization discussed in Module 6 to create a culture that supports ethical decision making. All of the elements need to support the behavior you want to create. This requires a holistic view of the systems and how they interact.
In this activity, you will locate and evaluate current ethics programs to provide a foundation for revising an existing ethics program. Considering what you have read in this course, begin investigating an organization’s ethics program by reviewing their website. You should select an organization of interest to you as a place in which you think you might like to work.
For your discussion:
- Use the EC Library to locate an article about the organization that addresses an issue associated with ethics.
- Choose the ethics theory most applicable to the issue in the article you chose.
- As a starting point for your investigation, review the organization’s documents and policies on their website. Many organizations have information on their ethics policies available. Identify current policy statement(s) and describe the current environment created by these policies.
- Indicate whether the organization has a clear ethics program or if it has only an espoused ethics policy.
- Identify at least two areas for improvement to create a strong ethical culture, based on the organization’s ethics program