The Committee on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Initiative on the Future of Nursing, at the Institute of Medicine (2011) notes that “the nursing profession is the largest segment of the nation’s health care workforce.” Nursing’s three million–plus members are known for their ability to react quickly and efficiently on the front lines of patient care. This agility is lost, however, when the nursing profession fails to evolve with the field of information technology. Have you witnessed any unintentional barriers that have excluded nurses from quickly adopting and accepting informatics systems?
Those nurses who apply strategies developed by change management experts can help expedite the adoption process by positively addressing staff concerns and implementation challenges. In this Discussion, you explore change leadership strategies through a role-playing activity.
Committee on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Initiative on the Future of Nursing, at the Institute of Medicine. (2011). The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health [Consensus report]. Retrieved from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies website: http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/The-Future-of-Nursing-Leading-Change-Advancing-Health.aspx
- Review the Learning Resources, focusing on the findings of the TIGER Leadership Collaborative.
- Consider the TIGER Nursing Informatics Competencies model from a leadership standpoint.
- Engage in the following role play: Your practice setting has appointed you to lead the implementation of a new information technology initiative. As you plan for this undertaking, you consider the various challenges that this implementation may bring to your practice.
- Select an information technology initiative that your practice could benefit from (i.e., a new information system, point-of-care service, robotics machinery, mobile devices, glucometers, smart pumps etc.).
- What change management strategies might you utilize to facilitate a quick and successful implementation?
- What potential barriers might the initiative bring to the practice? What leadership strategies could shift the culture toward a smooth transition?
Write a minimum of 550 words essay in APA format with at least 3 references. Include the level one headings as numbered below:
post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Briefly identify your practice setting (hospital setting) and the information technology initiative you selected. Provide a rationale for your selection. (i.e., a new information system, point-of-care service, robotics machinery, mobile devices, glucometers, smart pumps etc.).
2) Evaluate the potential barriers to implementing your hypothetical initiative.
3) Identify the change management strategies that you would use to facilitate a successful implementation. Identify key resources that you would need to promptly overcome potential barriers.
4) Appraise the leadership strategies that you would employ to establish a culture that supports the new information technology initiative. Reference the TIGER Informatics Competencies where appropriate.