“The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things.”
— Ronald Reagan
U.S. President (1981-1989)
Leadership is a critical role for advanced practice nurses. In order to be an effective leader, one must examine his or her role as an advanced practice nurse, and use his or her knowledge, and leadership skills to address issues related to his or her specialty area. There is a saying that one must know when to follow and when to lead. In order to be a good leader, you must also learn how to follow. As you transition from student to practicing NP, seek opportunities for mentorship to develop your leadership skills. Recognizing when to lead and when to follow is an interchangeable process that requires experience and preparation. The future for Americans in health care is unpredictable. This week it is important to focus on the complex and advanced leadership role that is needed to make effective change in a dynamic and demanding health care system.
This week you will focus on the importance of leadership in advanced practice nursing. You will have an opportunity to examine how you can execute positive social change in your state for salient advanced practice nursing issues.
State Practice Agreements
Write 1 page
This week you will have an opportunity to evaluate state practice agreements in your state ( of TEXAS ) and examine issues related to NP practice.
1. Review and Post a brief description of the REVIEW of practice agreements for NPs in your state of TEXAS.
2. Identify /name at least two physician collaboration issues in your state of Texas.
3. Explain what you think are the barriers to NPs practicing independently in your state mof TEXAS.
4. Finally, outline a plan for how you might address NP practice issues in your state.
5. Suggest additional actions you will take.
6. Validate an idea with your own clinical experiences with the support of an additional literature search from a reputable source.